Are the property manager of a condo complex? This is a demanding job and good time management is key to your success. These tips can help you lower your stress level and be do a better job at condo property management.
- Create a to do list. When you are working in condo property management, you have a thousand details to deal with. The best way you can make sure nothing falls through the cracks, you should write up a list of all of the things you have to accomplish. There is no one way to do this. You can write one up in a notebook, use scheduling software on your computer or an app on your smartphone. The only requirement for this is to find something that works for you. Go through and prioritize the list that you created.
- Group up your tasks. If you have a number of things to do that are similar, do them in batches. Say you have a lot of calls to make. Set these calls aside and make them in the order that makes the most sense. Do not do one call, then do a roof repair, then go back and take care of the next call. By grouping certain jobs together, you can be more efficient with your tasks and your time.
- Communicate with the condo association and your staff. You and your staff are a team. Your bosses are the residents and the condo association. The better your communications is with the people who work for you, the better job you all will do and the more happy the residents of the condo complex and the members of the condo association will be. When you have meetings with the condo association, which is a part of all members of the condo property management team’s jobs, everyone needs to be on the same page so that everyone knows what is expected of them.
- Focus on one thing at a time. We live in a time when most people are often working on more than one thing at a time. We like to tell ourselves that we are “multi tasking,” a common goal for many people who work in condo property management. It is a myth, however. Experts in human behavior say that the best way to use your time effectively and efficiently is to focus on one task at a time. Seeing one task through until it is completed before you start on a different task will help you get more done in less time.
- Do the difficult tasks in the morning. New research has shown that people are at their most productive early in the day. When people are more well rested, they are more able to focus and get things done on time. When you know you have hard tasks to do, schedule them early in your day. Ask the rest of your team to do similar task scheduling.
- Take big jobs and divide them up. Condo management can include a lot of big projects. These may be able to be broken up into smaller projects. Take these bigger projects and see where the logical steps are and how they can be divided into smaller projects. You would never dream of putting in a pool in one day, would you? If you are overseeing the installation os a new roof, that will not happen in one afternoon. When you know this is the case, communicate with everyone what you expect the timetable to be. Most people are pretty understanding but be realistic with them and yourself and you will lower everyone’s stress level.
- Keep your sense of humor. All jobs that involve working property management company require people have the ability to laugh. You are not going to get your entire to do list finished every day. You and your staff will makes mistakes. Accidents will happen. These things happen to all condo management companies. Being able to laugh at problems when they come up will help you and everyone you work with stay sane.
Property management of condos or apartments is hard work. Staying organized can help make everything run smoother.