Once you list your home for sale, attracting potential buyers is all about making the right moves. Since home selling is by no means a hands-off job, you need to curate every aspect of your selling strategy to make the best sale as soon as possible. But certain mistakes could harm this effort. If you are making any of the following mistakes, you might be delaying your home sale.
- Hiring The Wrong Agent: Real estate agents are the professionals in home buying and selling, but by working with the wrong one you are probably not boosting your home listing. Be sure to find a reputable agent with extensive experience! Even though hiring a friend or acquaintance may be cheaper, it’s not going to help you in the long run.
- Getting Emotionally Invested: A home is inherently emotional, but staying attached to your house as you try to sell it could be detrimental. Do your best to look back fondly on your time spent there while getting it ready to sell, and envision all of the new possibilities of your new house.
- Not Hitting The Right Price: Homes for sale need to hit a market price sweet spot. If you are listing your house for too low a price, you aren’t getting what you deserve for it. But listing too high may keep buyers away. HGTV recommends taking off 15-20% of what your home is actually worth when crafting the asking price.
- Skipping Home Maintenance: You may have gotten used to your flickering basement lights or noisy furnace, but these are the first details that people notice when buying a house. Get these quirks repaired before you put your home on the market and continue to tweak any issues while you are trying to sell.
- Forgetting Curb Appeal: First impressions matter, and for potential buyers so does what they see on the outside of your house. When someone decides to buy a house, the exterior quality matters. This means it’s time to clean your gutters, weed your garden, and repair your roof.
Remember that when you list your home for sale, your real estate agent is the best possible source of information. Ask them about what you can change and what you should focus on when selling the house. By following their advice, you can increase your chances for a speedy sale.