7 Landscaping Tips for the Novice
Most homeowners in the United States believe that having a yard is important. At least 83% of them say they feel this way. Of that group, 83% say that they think yards should be well maintained. Many people want to have a great landscaping job done but are not sure where to start. Garden nurseries around the country are often asked about this topic. Here are some tips for getting the yard and garden that is perfect for your home:
- Start with a budget. Before you begin any home project, you should decide how much you can spend and how much you would like to spend. This can limit what you can do in your yard but by going in with a budget, you will prevent yourself from breaking the bank with your garden.
- Decide what you really want. Think about what you are going to use the space for. You want your landscape design to compliment your lifestyle and your family’s needs. If you have children, maybe you want to create a fun play space. If you love flowers, maybe you want a luxurious garden. Before you head out to any of the area garden nurseries, you need to know how you envision your outdoor space to used. Many families use their garden and yard as another room of their home where they entertain friends and family. There are too many options to not spend time thinking about this before you head out.
- Spend some time in your yard. What parts of the yard get the most sun? How does the wind go through your space? if you are planting flowers or vegetables, you will need to know these things so that you can plant in the right space. This can also impact what you plant. Any of the garden nurseries in your area can help if you have questions about what plants need the different amounts of sun. By the same token, if you are planning to put in a patio or outdoor kitchen, you will want to find the most comfortable space in your yard. You do not want to put it in places that will be too hot in the summer.
- Do not jump into anything. If you have just moved into your home, you want to wait a bit. Get to you know your space before you work out your plan for your landscaping design. You may find that your first thoughts for plants is not the right one. You may also become inspired when you spend time in your outdoor space.
- You do not have to do it all at once. On all of the garden shows, homeowners redo their entire yard and garden but that is a huge undertaking and is really not necessary for the typical homeowner. Develop a plan but do not think you have to accomplish all of it at once. Rome was not built in a day. Give yourself some time. This is not just to make sure you get the design you want, but you should enjoy the process. You may find it much more enjoyable if you do not rush yourself. There is a reason so many people in the country enjoy gardening, it can be a great stress reliever.
- Create a focal point and work around it. Talk to the experts at the local garden nurseries and they will tell you that the professional landscape designers always work with a focal point. This can be a fountain or a beautiful groupings of flowers. This is where the eye will want to go first when a person enters your space.
- Have an open mind. You may go into your project with one idea in mind and then, as you work through it, find there is a better way to go. Let yourself go that way. You do not have to remain hostage to your original plan. You did not write it in stone. You will find your flexibility pays off in the end when you wind up with a beautiful backyard and garden. If you stick with your original plan, even when you start to doubt it, you may end up regretting that decision.
Most homeowners get a lot of joy and relaxation from their outdoor spaces and so can you.